English Language and Literature Databases
Start with these databases:
- A scholarly journal archive that provides image and full text access to
archival (more than 5 years old) scholarly journals in a wide variety of
- Provides full-text access to a selection of humanities and social sciences
MLA International Bibliography (EBSCOhost)
- This database offers a detailed bibliography of journal articles, books and
dissertations produced by the Modern Language Association. Topics include
language, literature, linguistics, and folklore. Some material is in full text,
many others are bibliographic citations or abstracts.
Other article databases:
Academic Search Ultimate (EBSCOhost)
- A scholarly, multi-disciplinary, database; with full text coverage of
10,021 journals in a range of subjects. This database is a good starting place
for almost any topic search.
Arts & Humanities Citation Index (Web of Science)
- Citation index that provides consolidated searching of a social science
citation index, art and humanities citation index and multi disciplinary
databases—may be searched by author, title, subject, and topic. These
are citations of usage, not full text and will be useful primarily to upper
division students and faculty doing research.
Biography Reference Center (EBSCOhost)
- A comprehensive collection of biographies on notable personalities.
Children’s Literature Comprehensive Database (CLCD)
- Index of reviews (some full text) for children’s literature with some
curriculum connections for specific books. Supports the Education Program and
classes in children’s literature taught in the English program.
- Streaming theater productions, interviews, and written content.
Literary Reference Center (EBSCOhost)
- Provides a broad spectrum of information on thousands of authors and their
works across literary disciplines and timeframes. Features a collection of
author biographies, plot summaries and work overviews, full-text essays from
leading publishers, literary reference books and monographs, cover-to-cover
full text for literary magazines and journals, book reviews, poems, short
stories, classic texts, author interviews, and more.
Poetry & Short Story Reference Center (EBSCOhost)
- A collection of full-text poetry, short stories, and supplemental content,
offering users a historically rich collection of hundreds of thousands of
poems, as well as biographies and authoritative essays on such topics as poetic
forms, movements and techniques.
- An online reference utility that hosts selected encyclopedias and other
Oxford English Dictionary Online (OED)
- Historical dictionary of English, covering use of words from earliest
times to present day.
Oxford Handbooks Online
- Provides in-depth, high-level articles written by the world’s leading
Oxford Reference Online - Premium
- Language and subject reference works from Oxford Press into single cross
- Offers access to selected reference encyclopedias, handbooks, and videos
with coverage mostly in the areas of social sciences and health care.
- Reference resources for psychology, health, historical topics, and
Other useful resources:
- Search for books, audio, video, and periodicals at the Utah Tech University
- A list of ebook databases available at Utah Tech.
Full-Text Periodicals List
- Find a specific journal or magazine.
- Borrow materials from other libraries.
- Search library catalogs in Utah and beyond.