Medicine and Health Databases
Start with these databases:
CINAHL Complete (EBSCOhost)
- This database provides provides broad content coverage of 50 nursing
specialties, speech and language pathology, nutrition, general health and
medicine and indexing for nearly 5,500 journals and full text access for more
than 1,300 key journals in the nursing field.
ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Premium
- A multiformat database for nursing research, clinical skills development, and curriculum support complete with a diverse mix of scholarly literature, clinical training videos, reference materials, and evidence-based resources. Includes over 950 videos teaching clinical skills, such as the Nursing Education in Video set from Medcom/Alexander Street. Indexes over 2000 scholarly journals, many with full text.
- Contains more than 35 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites. Fields covered include medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, and preclinical sciences. PubMed also provides access to additional relevant Web sites and links to the other NCBI molecular biology resources.
- Extensive database of Elsevier journals in a wide range of subjects.
Excellent searching capabilities and full text access. An excellent resource
for authoritative information in many subject disciplines.
Other article databases:
Academic Search Ultimate (EBSCOhost)
- A scholarly, multi-disciplinary, database; with full text coverage of
10,021 journals in a range of subjects. This database is a good starting place
for almost any topic search.
Alt HealthWatch (EBSCOhost)
- Focuses on complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health care and wellness. Subjects covered include acupuncture, Chinese medicine, chiropractic, naturopathy, and osteopathy. Indexes over 200 magazines and scholarly journals, many with full text, not all of which are peer-reviewed.
- A collection of critical reviews written by leading scientists. Annual
Reviews volumes are published each year for 40 focused disciplines within the
Biomedical, Life, Physical, and Social Sciences including Economics.
Biomedical Reference Collection: Basic (EBSCOhost)
- Full-text reference database including over 100 medical titles covering
disciplines that include clinical medicine, nursing, dentistry, and health
- A collection of healthcare databases that include the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR), Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL), and Cochrane Clinical Answers.
Health and Psychosocial Instruments (HaPI) (EBSCOhost)
- Produced by Behavioral Measurement Database Services, this bibliographic database is abstracted from hundreds of leading journals in the health and social sciences. HaPI provides comprehensive information about behavioral measurement tools, including those related to medicine and nursing, as well as clinical, personality, social, and developmental psychology.
Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition (EBSCOhost)
- Provides access to nearly 300 full-text scholarly journals covering nursing and allied health topics, including pediatric nursing, critical care, mental health, nursing management, medical law and more. Also indexes over 600 additional relevant journals without full text or available open-access elsewhere. Most journals are peer-reviewed.
JAMA (The Journal of the American Medical Association)
- A peer-reviewed medical journal published by the American Medical
Association. It publishes original research, reviews, and editorials covering
all aspects of the biomedical sciences. Utah Tech University only provides
full-text access to JAMA and JAMA Network Open.
Joanna Briggs Institute Evidence Based Practice Database (JBI EBP)
- The JBI EBP Database is an online resource that includes high quality, relevant, up to date evidence-based information and guidance for health professionals to inform decisions made at the point of care.
- Indexing and abstracting for medical information on medicine, nursing,
dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences,
and much more. This is a standard reference to locate articles for the fields
of medicine and allied health. It does not contain full text.
MEDLINE (Web of Science)
- This database is very similar to the EBSCOhost versions of MEDLINE, but
does include limited full text.
The New England Journal of Medicine
- A leading medical journal that provides high-quality, peer-reviewed
research and clinical content to physicians, educators, and the global medical
Nursing Reference Center Plus (EBSCOhost)
- This resource can be used to get answers to questions quickly, access care
plans, watch video demonstrations, strengthen nursing skills, earn continuing
education credits and much more.
- Provides indexes and backfiles for hundreds of clinical journals that cover
a wide variety of health topics. Also contains current articles from the
American Journal of Nursing (AJN), the Journal of Nursing
Administration (JONA), and the Journal for Nurses in Staff Development.
R2 Digital Library
- Provides a selection of ebooks focused on the health sciences. Limited to
three concurrent users.
Sage Journals Online
- General purpose database for scholarly articles.
- Reference resources for psychology, health, historical topics, and literary
- Scopus is a large abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed
literature, including scientific journals, books, and conference proceedings.
SPORTDiscus with Full Text (EBSCOhost)
- This database is the premier source of literature for sports and sports
medicine studies, providing full-text content from many respected journals.
It is an essential tool for health professionals, researchers and students,
providing extensive coverage in the areas of fitness, health and sport
- An online reference utility that hosts selected encyclopedias and other
Oxford Reference Online - Premium
- Language and subject reference works from Oxford Press into single cross
- Offers access to selected reference encyclopedias, handbooks, and videos
with coverage mostly in the areas of social sciences and health care.
Other useful resources:
- Search for books, audio, video, and periodicals at the Utah Tech University
- A list of ebook databases available at Utah Tech.
Full-Text Periodicals List
- Find a specific journal or magazine.
- Borrow materials from other libraries.
- Search library catalogs in Utah and beyond.