Social Sciences Databases
Start with these databases:
ProQuest Sociology Collection
- This collection provides access to Sociological Abstracts in combination
with other databases covering the international literature in sociology and
social services, along with related fields. Together, it provides abstracts,
indexing and full-text coverage of journal articles, books, book chapters,
dissertations, working papers, and more, including full-text from hundreds of
leading sociology journals.
MasterFILE Complete (EBSCOhost)
- Multidisciplinary database designed for public libraries that covers
virtually every subject area of general interest. Provides a large collection
of popular full-text magazines, journals, and other sources from the world’s
leading publishers as well as a large image collection of photos, maps and
- Extensive database of Elsevier journals in a wide range of subjects.
Excellent searching capabilities and full text access. An excellent resource
for authoritative information in many subject disciplines.
Other article databases:
Ethnic NewsWatch (ProQuest)
- A full-text collection of the newspapers, magazines and journals of the
ethnic, minority and native press.
Family & Society Studies Worldwide (EBSCOhost)
- Comprised of four database files, Family & Society Studies
Worldwide meets educational needs of professionals in all fields of
social work, social science and family practice. It indexes publications from
a wide range of social science disciplines, including anthropology, sociology,
psychology, demography, health sciences, education, economics, law, history
and social work.
- Indexing, abstracts and full-text collection of journals, magazines,
newsletters, regional publications, conference reports on gender studies
sources with coverage from the 1970’s to the present.
ICPSR (Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research)
- An international consortium of more than 750 academic institutions and
research organizations, ICPSR provides leadership and training in data access,
curation, and methods of analysis for the social science research community.
- A scholarly journal archive that provides image and full text access to
archival (more than 5 years old) scholarly journals in a wide variety of
- Provides full-text access to a selection of humanities and social sciences
Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCOhost)
- This database covers topics in emotional and behavioral characteristics,
psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational
& experimental methods. Offers full text coverage for nearly 400 journals.
- Reference resources for psychology, health, historical topics, and literary
Social Sciences Citation Index (Web of Science)
- Consolidated searching of Science Citation Index, Social Science Citation
Index, and Arts and Humanities Index. Searchable by all elements of the
citation. Limited full text provided.
Web of Knowledge
- Consolidated searching of citation search engines and multidisciplinary
listings of articles in 8,500 major scholarly journals. Limited full text
access. Clusters results in subject areas and document types.
- An online reference utility that hosts selected encyclopedias and other
Oxford Handbooks Online
- Provides in-depth, high-level articles written by the world’s leading
Oxford Reference Online - Premium
- Language and subject reference works from Oxford Press into single cross
- Offers access to selected reference encyclopedias, handbooks, and videos
with coverage mostly in the areas of social sciences and health care.
Other useful resources:
- Search for books, audio, video, and periodicals at the Utah Tech University
- A list of ebook databases available at Utah Tech.
Full-Text Periodicals List
- Find a specific journal or magazine.
- Borrow materials from other libraries.
- Search library catalogs in Utah and beyond.